Job title: ShelterJH Latinx Community Mobilizer (part-time, hourly)
We are a membership organization working to ensure that all who work in Jackson can have a home here. We all dream of a better life. We work hard and make sacrifices to try to meet our goals here in Jackson, the community we love. As a community, we rely on each other in numerous ways. When one of us struggles, we all suffer—our families, our friends, our employers, and Jackson as a whole. To ensure we can all do more than merely survive here, we’re committed to making Jackson livable for everyone. This is our home, and we want it to stay interesting, lively, and the Jackson Hole we know and love.
ShelterJH is a 501(c)4 membership organization, unlike your average nonprofit. We’re building a membership base so we’re completely independent and free to work for the best interests of tenants and workers. Members elect our board and give input on big decisions at our annual member meeting. We support candidates to help keep great housing champions in office.
The Latinx Community Mobilizer will build relationships and engage Latinx members of our community to grow Latinx involvement in ShelterJH membership, ShelterJH board membership, and in our collective housing affordability movement. These objectives will be met by getting members of the local Latinx community involved in pro-housing policy and projects; education and training members of the Latinx community in community organizing tactics; one-on-one outreach and small events, and managing all Spanish-language communications. The Mobilizer will have a special focus on their own communities and networks. The mobilizer will work closely with our Coordinator and report to the ShelterJH board chair and policy team chair.
Hours and compensation:
$20/hour for an average of 10 hours/week. After growing the membership and our financial base, we hope to increase the hours, ideally becoming a full-time position.
- Member and board development: invite more people to join ShelterJH as members and activists. Utilize community events and small ShelterJH events, your own networks, door-to-door canvassing, and our list of interested people those who want to become involved in the movement.
- Education and training: educate the community about why advocacy matters and how it can impact positive change. Train new members in basic community organizing skills.
- Action: mobilize your networks to write comment letters to elected officials and letters to the editor, show up at election events like candidate forums, attend and give public comment at Town Council and County Commission meetings. Help get members of the Latinx community to respond to various surveys, such as the Household/Employee Survey for the Housing Needs Assessment to ensure that the Latinx community is well represented.
- Bilingual required (English/Spanish)
- Friendly, outgoing, good with people
- Highly motivated self-starter
- Experience in advocacy, community organizing, canvassing is preferred
- Good written communication and organizational skills
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with cover letter and resume, or any questions. Applications accepted and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis.